Thursday, January 8, 2009

Confessions of a Lousy Teacher

Am I failing my children? I would have to respond with a resounding, YES! In the educational realm, anyways. When I started with the idea of homeschooling, I didn't really know what I was getting into. I envisioned something much different than it has been. I love having my boys home with me, but am I doing what is best for them? I'm not 100% positive.

Lately, we have had a busy household. And school has been an after thought, rather than the main focus. I look at blogs of other homeschool mothers and see their schedules mapped out from early morning to late afternoon. And I wonder 'How do they do it?'. And even more 'How do they stick with it?'. Don't get me wrong. My kids are learning adequately enough. But most of the time their attitude is 'Let's hurry and get this over with'. In fact, they resent my interruption into THEIR day. How dare I take time away from their pursuits, which certainly aren't educational.

The most pressing issue on my mind, though, is the lack of spiritual guidance. I haven't made Bible a part of our homeschool curriculum yet. Even though this is the most important thing. I need to remind myself that I am shaping their minds and helping them become the person they will be. Am I arming them with the virtues that will be most important in life? When they look at us do they see what we value most and what we put first in our own life? Serious stuff, I know. I've just been pondering these things for some time now. The next step is to do something about it. Right? Right.
Here are some random photos of others and my own.





No comments:

Post a Comment